Matej Vydra’s excellent goal boosted Burnley’s hopes of playing in Europe for the second time in three several years as they gained a climate-impacted Premier League activity at Southampton.
The result lifts the Clarets up to 10th, 5 details guiding Sheffield United in fifth.
The site visitors had made the great start, Ashley Westwood scoring direct from a corner immediately after 93 seconds.
Danny Ings, who was deceived by the flight of the ball for Westwood’s intention, designed amends by equalising with a rasping travel into the bottom correct corner from 18 yards.
With Saints mastering the wet and windy ailments brought on by Storm Dennis superior than their opponents, Jack Stephens then headed Sofiane Boufal’s shipping versus the Burnley crossbar as the hosts pressed for a winner.
But Vydra’s amazing still left-foot energy, into the leading-left corner from eighteen yards, ensured Burnley claimed their first league double in excess of Southampton considering that 1947.
- Pay attention to the most up-to-date Soccer Every day podcast
- Southampton v Burnley as it happened
Clarets purpose for Europe
Burnley arrived on the south coastline following winning at Outdated Trafford in their very last away activity.
And a ordinarily gritty functionality, illuminated by Vydra’s intention, aided them equivalent their longest unbeaten operate of the run of the year, 4 matches.
It was not always quite from Burnley, who now experienced the worst pass-completion price in the Premier League and who slipped to sixty one% below, but crucially it was successful.
Complete-backs Charlie Taylor and Phil Bardsley routinely strike the channels whilst the likes of Jack Cork, Dwight McNeil and Jeff Hendrick remained on the periphery of the action.
Dyche’s facet last qualified for European level of competition in 2017-18, with a seventh-place Leading League end, and may possibly perfectly fancy their chances of emulating that accomplishment.
Games versus Liverpool, Manchester City and Tottenham apart, the Clarets have a moderately promising operate-in.
And if Manchester City’s ban from European club competitions is upheld, it opens up the risk of the group ending fifth actively playing in the Champions League, with Europa League qualification extending even further down the desk.
Saints trigger personal problems
If Burnley were rewarded for their no-nonsense technique to defending, the opposite was real for Southampton.
Whilst Saints went into this contest with 7 wins from twelve matches they as soon as again shown their vulnerability at property.
Ralph Hasenhuttl’s facet have now missing eight situations at St Mary’s this season and a lot of of those defeats look to have been self-inflicted – with orders to perform out from the back in hard disorders continuously resulting in them difficulties in this article.
Hasenhuttl experienced also instructed his staff could use the things in their favour in opposition to Burnley but as a substitute observed his facet quickly caught out by problems as the visitors scored their fastest at any time absent intention in the Premier League.
Up against the club exactly where he built his title, Ings curiously moved out of the way of Westwood’s corner, which – with nobody on the around put up and goalkeeper Alex McCarthy out of position – crept above the line.
Ings did at minimum redeem himself with his fifteenth aim of the period, his best return since scoring 21 for the Clarets in the Championship 6 yrs back.
But it was not adequate to increase to the eleven points they have taken at dwelling, which is the worst report in the division.
Guy of the match – Ben Mee (Burnley)
‘We scored a elegant goal’ – what they mentioned
Burnley boss Sean Dyche speaking to Match of the Day:“It was amazingly bad situations for travelling permit on your own football. A challenging match, definitely tough. We experienced to dig in once more like we do.
“We failed to choose a grip of the recreation [following we scored], they did. We waited for the activity to come to us and you are unable to do that. They had been superior than us to start with half. Next fifty percent, we calmed the sport down. We scored a elegant objective.
“Chris Wood has bought a hamstring [problem]. We’re satisfied he acquired off brief and could truly feel it early. We never invest significant amounts of money and so that entails a entire squad of gamers. Matej Vydra keeps himself correct and he is sent.”
Southampton boss Ralph Haseenhuttl speaking to Match of the Day:“First fifty percent was Ok. We arrive back again from a stupid target in the next moment. We performed much better football than the opponent but it truly is usually difficult to make odds versus this staff. The next 50 percent it is very tricky to maintain them in their half.
“It was the worst start out you can imagine. The reaction was Alright. In the conclusion we are not excellent plenty of second 50 percent. We are not aggressive enough and did not uncover the answers for putting them beneath pressure.
On a penalty not awarded versus Ben Mee for feasible handball:“It truly is boring to discuss this to be sincere, there is no clear line. As you want… go on. We could have this dialogue just about every week.”
Southampton’s leaky defence – the stats
- Burnley are unbeaten in their past 7 Leading League meetings with Southampton (W4 D3).
- Southampton have gained just eleven factors at property in the Leading League this period (P13 W3 D2 L8), fewer than any other aspect.
- Burnley have won back again-to-again away Premier League video games for the initial time because April 2018 (a operate of 3).
- Southampton have conceded 30 objectives in their thirteen residence league online games this time, the first English top-flight side to concede so many following just 13 house matches from the begin of a marketing campaign considering the fact that Ipswich City in 1963-sixty four (31).
- Ashley Westwood’s opener following 93 seconds was the earliest absent aim Burnley have ever scored in the Premier League.
- Danny Ings has scored 18 aims in all competitions this year – the final Southampton participant to rating more in a season with Saints as a prime-flight club was James Beattie in 2002-03 (24).
- Among the English Premier League players, only Marcus Rashford (19) and Raheem Sterling (20) have scored far more targets in all club competitions this season than Ings.
- Matej Vydra’s winner for Burnley was just his fifth Leading League objective, his very first absent from home, and to start with overall considering the fact that September 2018.
What is subsequent?
Southampton host Aston Villa in their following Leading League activity on Saturday, 22 February (fifteen:00 GMT). Burnley are future in motion in the Leading League on the similar working day when they welcome Bournemouth to Turf Moor (fifteen:00 GMT).