The household of a boy who died of an invasive type of strep A have mentioned they sought medical assist thrice earlier than he was admitted to hospital.
Jax Albert Jefferys, who attended Morelands Primary School in Waterlooville, Hampshire, died on 1 December, aged 5.
His household mentioned they had been initially informed he had flu.
Since September, UK Health Security Agency figures present 15 UK kids have died after invasive strep A infections.
Paying tribute to their “darling son”, Jax’s household mentioned they’d sought medical recommendation on three events throughout the 4 days main as much as his dying and had been informed that he was struggling with influenza A.
“We then followed the recommended course of action: to administer a proprietary paracetamol-based medication in the prescribed dosage,” they mentioned in an announcement.
However, they mentioned on the fourth day Jax’s situation “deteriorated so much” they “rushed him to hospital” and he later died.
“Only after his death was it confirmed that the cause was the strep A virus,” the household mentioned.
“We would dearly like to express our deepest thanks to all the hospital staff who did their utmost to save Jax.
“We sincerely ask that folks respect our privateness right now.”
Earlier this month, Alison Syred-Paul, head teacher at Morelands Primary School, urged parents to know the signs of the strep A bacterial infection.
According to the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) the infection usually causes a sore throat, scarlet fever or skin rash and is passed by physical contact or through droplets from sneezing or coughing.
But in “very uncommon events” the bacteria causing scarlet fever could get into the bloodstream and cause an illness which can be “very critical”, UKHSA warns.
According to the World Health Organization, influenza A is one of four types of seasonal influenza viruses.