Times of Middle East

Morocco footballers burst into music after escaping Guinea coup

Players and help employees departed Conakry after being holed up of their resort throughout the first hours of the putsch.

Relieved Moroccan footballers and help employees sang a hearty rendition of the nationwide anthem as they departed Guinea after being holed up of their resort throughout the first hours of a army rebellion.

Morocco’s nationwide workforce was in Conakry to play a World Cup qualifier on Monday, however awoke on the eve of the match to the sound of gunfire near their resort as troopers sought to topple Guinea’s President Alpha Conde.

Moroccan diplomats had been capable of negotiate a departure for his or her workforce amid the uncertainty and the squad flew in a foreign country late on Sunday, simply hours after the match had been known as off.

Players posted photos and movies on social media of the passengers bursting right into a spirited rendition of the anthem because the aircraft took off for Morocco.

When the flight landed within the capital Rabat early on Monday, Paris St Germain fullback Achraf Hakimi tweeted: “Thank you all for the messages and the support, it has been a very intense day but thank God we are safe and sound in Morocco.”

The squad left the resort for the hourlong journey to the Conakry airport in two buses, which had been cheered by native residents who got here out onto the streets in help of the coup try.

Morocco coach Vahid Halilhodzic earlier described the anguish of his squad as they had been stranded of their resort not removed from the presidential palace.

“We heard gunshots nearby all day. We are waiting for permission to go to the airport, for the moment we are stranded. A plane is waiting for us, but we are not allowed to leave. The players are concerned,” he advised L’Equipe earlier on Sunday.

‘Constant contact with Naby’

There has been no speedy phrase on the destiny of Guinea’s giant contingent of European-based gamers, together with captain Naby Keita of Liverpool.

On Monday, the English Premier League facet mentioned it was in contact with authorities to securely carry again the midfielder.

“We are in constant contact with Naby and have had regular communication via his national team management,” Liverpool mentioned in a press release.

“We are satisfied that he is safe and well cared for. Obviously the situation is fluid and we will maintain regular dialogue with the relevant authorities as we work to get Naby back to Liverpool in a timely and secure manner.”

Meanwhile, Toulouse defender Issiaga Sylla mentioned the gamers had been looking for out how they may return.

“It’s going to be a bit complicated to get back to Europe. We’re worried about that,” he advised L’Equipe.

“Everything is closed, the airport is closed. We went to see the coach to find out how it was going to go for us to return to our clubs. But we still don’t know. We’re 10 minutes from the airport, but we can’t move.”


Exit mobile version