It is been a even though because Google announced ideas to press RCS adoption so that Android people could ultimately shift on from the out-of-date SMS technology, but most consumers are stuck waiting around for their cellular carriers to flip the switch at some stage in 2020. There occurs to be a way to change RCS on manually, but as several users—and loads of our readers—have identified, it’s inconsistent at best.
If you’re not confident what RCS is or why you would want to permit it,our RCS primer has all the details, but the most important motive is that RCS textual content messages are better and guidance significantly far more capabilities than SMS does. You know how Apple’s iMessage allows you see when your buddies are typing or have on discussions across various equipment? RCS lets Android people eventually do both—plus tons more—in their core texting app.
Google current the Android messages application with RCS guidance a although back, but it is up to just about every mobile carrier to empower it on its network. Even so,Android Law enforcement lately documentedthat Reddit people correctly enabled RCS functions in their Android Messages app with out needing provider approval. Considering the fact that then, it appears thatthe trick no more time will work on some phones, most regularly on OnePlus products, though it is been noted on Pixel phones and Samsung Galaxy designs as perfectly.
Even with all those issues, the trick continues to be possible for lots of users, nevertheless the approach could just take a number of attempts just before it sticks.
How to manually enable RCS messaging on Android
- You are going to have to have to shut off your device’s Wi-Fi during this system. Swipe down on your phone’s display to present the speedy settings and notifications menu, then discover and faucet the“Wi-Fi”shortcut to disable it.
- Upcoming,open theActivity Launcher appand find“All Activities”from the fall-down menu.
- Tap“Messages”then scroll down and tap“Set RCS Flags.”
- Scroll down to “ACS Url” and find“http://rcs-acs-prod-us.sandbox.google.com.”from the drop-down menu.
- Power near Messages.
- Install the“Carrier Services”app if you have not previously, then go to Configurations and look for for“All Applications.”Obtain Carrier Providers and crystal clear its application details.
- Re-open Messages and repeat techniques two and three.
- Next, in the “OTP Pattern” drop-down menu, find“YoursMessengersverificationscodesissG-(d6).”
- Scroll down and faucet“Apply.”
- Power close the Messages application, then re-open up it. If there’s a banner asking you to “Upgrade Now” so you can see what your good friends are typing, tap“Upgrade Now.”If not, refer to the measures higher than and double-check out you didn’t skip everything.
Following you have upgraded, you can faucet“…”>Configurations>Chat characteristicsin the Messages app to see which RCS characteristics are accessible for you. If you are demonstrated a warning concept at the prime of the display, it might indicate your cellular phone amount simply cannot be verified—don’t worry, while, this is fixable. Very first, make absolutely sure you adopted the above methods appropriately. If that does not clear up nearly anything, do the adhering to:
- Pressure close Messages, then check out clearing Carrier Services’ application knowledge yet again. Reboot your mobile phone.
- Once your phone has rebooted, open up the Messages app yet again and go to“…”>Configurations>Chat characteristics>Position: Setting upthen faucet“Verify,”and variety in your telephone amount.
If you’ve absent by means of all these measures and however can not seem to be to get RCS (or the Messages app) to operate, or your cellphone just straight up tells you your provider does not assist RCS, then you may perhaps be out of luck and will have to just wait around for your provider to allow RCS support in the long term. In that scenario, you can walk the entire system back again by subsequent the above actions, but deleting the “ACS Url” subject in phase four and “OTP pattern” in move 8 as an alternative.
Up to date 11/1/2019 with revised actions, troubleshooting, and how to undo the trick, as very well as new details and appropriate links in gentle of reviews that the workaround has been deactivated on some products.