(Reuters) – Abdullah Abdullah, a three-times presidential contender, held a parallel inauguration as his rival, Ashraf Ghani, was sworn in as president of Afghanistan on Monday.
Afghanistan’s former CEO Abdullah Abdullah gestures for the duration of a swearing-in ceremony of the new Afghanistan’s President Ashraf Ghani, in Kabul, Afghanistan March nine, 2020. REUTERS/Omar Sobhani
In this article are some particulars about Abdullah and his political occupation:
– Just after performing as a medical health care provider in his twenties, Abdullah arrived into politics – and war – with the anti-Taliban resistance hero and warlord Ahmad Shah Massoud, assassinated two days prior to the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks on the United States by Islamist team al Qaeda.
– A Tajik-Pashtun, Abdullah was made foreign minister in 2001 by then President Hamid Karzai following the Taliban Islamist militant team was ousted, but resigned in 2006.
– He was narrowly overwhelmed by Ghani in the 2014 presidential election and became chief govt, a freshly designed position with key ministerial powers.
– A power-sharing agreement between Ghani and Abdullah, who is now 59, was marked by bitter infighting, complicating moves to have out reforms.
– Ghani and Abdullah ended up rival candidates in the presidential election held on Sept. 28 very last year. The election was marred by allegations of rigging, technical troubles with the biometric units used for voting, violence and other irregularities.
– In February, the Election Commission introduced Ghani experienced gained fifty.sixty four% of the vote, enough for outright victory in the to start with spherical. Abdullah was declared the runner-up with 39.fifty two% but he reported he and his allies had won the election and would type the subsequent authorities.
– There was no initial statement from the United States recognizing Ghani as the election victor.
– But Ghani’s inauguration on Monday was attended by Zalmay Khalilzad, the U.S. Distinctive Envoy for Afghanistan, senior U.N. officers and some Western diplomats, signaling the worldwide community’s validation of Ghani.
– Diplomats and political analysts have stated discord in between Ghani and Abdullah could complicate the future actions toward peace next the signing of a offer among the United States and the Taliban that has been trumpeted as a stepping stone to a entire withdrawal of overseas troops from Afghanistan and an conclude to eighteen yrs of war.
Reporting by Rupam Jain in Mumbai, extra reporting by Charlotte Greenfield in Kabul, modifying by Timothy Heritage