Lawyer Gregory Nott says World Athletics ruling barring Semenya from competing in sure monitor occasions due to her excessive pure testosterone is a ‘human rights violation’.
A lawsuit by South Africa’s two-times Olympic 800 metres champion Caster Semenya within the European Court of Human Rights that challenges restrictions of testosterone in feminine athletes is a “fight for all women”, her lawyer has stated.
Speaking to Al Jazeera, Gregory Nott stated on Sunday a ruling by the governing physique of athletics that prohibits Semenya from competing in sure monitor occasions resulting from her excessive pure testosterone is “a human rights violation”.
“This is Caster’s fight but she believes it’s a fight for all woman who faced derogatory or prejudicial attacks upon themselves,” he stated, talking from Johannesburg. “She sees it as a fight for all women in a similar situation as herself.”
Earlier this week, the 30-year-old athlete took the case to the European Court of Human Rights to problem the 2018 rules from World Athletics which banned Semenya and different feminine athletes with variations of sexual growth from races between 400 metres and a mile until they take hormone-suppressing medicine, each day contraceptive tablets, or have surgical procedure.
Semenya was legally recognized as feminine at delivery and has recognized as feminine her entire life. She says her testosterone is merely a genetic present.
Because of her refusal to decrease her pure testosterone, Semenya has been barred from working within the 800m since 2019, when she was the dominant runner on the earth over two laps.
“We have been surprised by [the lack of emphathy and support from World Athletics] because, after all, she falls under the rubric of world athletics,” Nott stated.
“One would anticipate they would stand by the athlete – particularly such as one like Caster – who is an iconic figure not only in her homeland but around the world.”
World Athletics has beforehand denied it was concentrating on Semenya.
This combat is not only about me, it is about taking a stand and combating for dignity, equality and the human rights of ladies in sport. All we ask is to have the ability to run free because the robust and fearless girls we’re!! Thank you to all of those that have stood behind me pic.twitter.com/0PdBiujH8b
— Caster Semenya (@caster800m) February 25, 2021
Semenya has beforehand unsuccessfully challenged these rules on the Court of Arbitration for Sport and the Swiss Federal Supreme Court.
“I hope the European court will put an end to the longstanding human rights violations by World Athletics against women athletes,” Semenya stated in an announcement on Thursday.
“All we ask is to be allowed to run free, for once and for all, as the strong and fearless women we are and have always been,” she added.
No dates have been set but for the listening to of the case.
Meantime, the athlete is but to qualify for the Tokyo Olympics.
She had already determined to compete within the 200m even earlier than the Olympics had been postponed to 2021 as a result of coronavirus pandemic.
“We believe Caster will be seen at the Olympics, whether it will be running the 200m or 1,500m or whatever it may be, but we believe Caster will be running her agenda and objectives,” Nott stated, describing the athlete as “an indomitable spirit”.